Who We Are

Our intention is to inform people of racist, homophobic, religious extreme hate speech perpetrators across social networking internet sites. And we also aim to be a focal point for people to access information and resources to report such perpetrators to appropriate web sites, governmental departments and law enforcement agencies around the world.

We will also post relevant news worthy items and information on Human rights issues, racism, extremist individuals and groups and far right political parties from around the world although predominantly Britain.

Friday, 8 October 2010

New anti-racist Blog blatant promotion

Huge plug time, a well known anti-racist group on the You Tube website has recently decided to branch out.

The NCR “Nordic Cave Resistance” group has for the first time stepped out from shadowy secrecy and created a blog.

I urge anyone who has any interest in anti-racist activity on the You Tube web site to take a look at the blog as it may be of some interest. 

To visit NCR please click here

French veil ban clears last legal hurdle

France's constitutional court has approved the law set to ban wearing the Islamic full veil in public.

It approved it almost in its entirety, making one small change: the law will not apply to public places of worship where it may violate religious freedom.

The proposed measure had already been passed by parliament. It is due to come into force next spring.
The law makes it illegal to wear garments such as the niqab or burka, which incorporate a full-face veil, anywhere in public.

Under the ban, persons found wearing a full veil in public will face a fine of 150 euros (£130) and/or a citizenship course.

Those found to force women to wear a full veil will face a 30,000-euro fine and a one-year jail term.

A last challenge is possible at the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg, where decisions are binding. 

Under the law, there is a six-month period of "education" to explain to women already wearing a face veil that they face arrest and a fine if they continue to do so in public spaces.

There are estimated to be only about 2,000 women wearing the full veil in France.

President Nicolas Sarkozy has backed the ban as part of a wider debate on French identity, but opponents say the government is pandering to far-right voters.

Spain and Belgium are debating similar legislation.

Police apologise to AM for denying ‘kettling’ at protest (UK)

Police have formally apologised to Assembly Member Leanne Wood for issuing incorrect information to the media following her criticism of their handling of a demonstration.

South Wales Police have admitted using a controversial containment tactic to hold anti-fascist protesters in Cardiff city centre after initially issuing a public denial.

Assistant Chief Constable Nick Croft told Ms Wood a breakdown in communication led to an incorrect statement being issued.

In a letter to the Plaid Cymru AM for South Wales Central, he apologised for any potential embarrassment caused.

But he added the tactic, known as kettling, had been used properly to prevent disorder when Unite Against Fascism staged a counter demonstration against an English Defence League (EDL) protest in June.

Ms Wood said: “I welcome the apology from South Wales Police as its media statement contradicted my experience and that of hundreds of other anti-fascist protesters.

“I remain unconvinced about the need to deploy the containment tactics as the anti-fascist protesters conducted themselves peacefully and showed no sign of aggression.

“The mere presence of the EDL and their hate-fuelled agenda posed a far bigger threat to law and order.”
Ms Wood had complained about the forced detaining of anti-fascists within an area ringed by a steel barrier at one end and a line of police officers at the other near City Hall on June 5.

Days later, the force said that at no stage had it used containment tactics.

After Ms Wood wrote to the force asking them to rectify the misinformation, South Wales Police decided to treat the issue as an official complaint.

The complaint was upheld following an internal inquiry.

Mr Croft said: “South Wales Police has dealt with Ms Wood’s complaint in an open and transparent way. Areas for improvement have been identified, and I felt it right and proper to apologise for an inaccurate press release.

“Overall, the event passed off very peacefully, which cannot be said for other similar demonstrations elsewhere in the UK. This was an extremely challenging day for South Wales Police and I believe our officers did a good job.

“I agreed with Leanne Wood from an early stage that lessons should and would be learnt. We have amended our strategies and tactics to reflect the lessons learned.

“We must not forget a public order ground commander appears to have made a decision in good faith that was intended to protect protesters from risk of serious harm.

“The public has a right to be protected from harm and containing protesters in order to prevent a confrontation will always be a tactic which can be used by the police.”

He added: “Ms Wood also comments that she remains unconvinced about the need to deploy the containment tactic. South Wales Police has evidence which shows that a considerable number of UAF demonstrators were intent on some sort of confrontation.”

Wales Online

Wilders's anti-Islam film screened in Dutch court (Netherlands)

The hate trial of Dutch anti-Islamist politician Geert Wilders, who will have a powerful shadow role in the Dutch government, resumed on Wednesday with a showing of his controversial film that criticises the Koran.

The screening in court of Wilders's 2008 film "Fitna," which accuses the Koran of inciting violence, threatened to interrupt the trial for a second time in a week when defence lawyer Bram Moszkowicz objected to comments from presiding judge Jan Moors.

When one complainant said she did not wish to see the film, which accuses the Koran of inciting violence, Moors said: "I can understand that" -- prompting a sharp response from Moszkowicz who said such a remark is simply not allowed.

Moors stressed he was not expressing any judgement over the film. Moszkowicz then reluctantly allowed the trial to proceed.

Wilders, who has constant police protection because of death threats, went on trial on Monday on charges of inciting hatred and discrimination against Muslims in media comments and for insulting Muslims by comparing the Islamic faith to Nazism.

He faces a fine or a maximum prison sentence of one year at a time when the formation of a new Dutch government relies on his support.

If convicted, he would keep his parliamentary seat. In theory, the court could impose a sentence preventing him from running for re-election, but such a drastic ruling is considered by legal experts to be highly unlikely.
Monday's proceedings had to be halted when Wilders, after invoking his right to remain silent, accused judges of "scandalous" bias and demanded they be replaced. The court rejected the claims on Tuesday.  

The prosecutor, reacting to complaints about Wilders, originally said he was protected by the right to free speech, but a court overruled him and ordered that Wilders be charged.

Wilders has said the freedom of speech of 1.5 million people who voted for him is also on trial.

On Tuesday, Christian Democrat MPs approved a coalition pact with the Liberals that relies on support from Wilders's anti-Islam Freedom Party.

"In the case of a conviction and suppose Mr Wilders would have to do time in prison, the problem might be how to fulfil his obligations in Parliament," said Geert-Jan Alexander Knoops, an international criminal law professor at Utrecht University.

"However, from an international law perspective, I believe it is not very likely that a conviction will be rendered."


Norway denies asylum to Russian neo-Nazi

Oslo has denied political asylum to former Russian mixed martial arts fighter Vladislav Datsik, who was detained in Norway after he escaped from a psychiatric ward in St. Petersburg, news agencies reported on Thursday.
Member of the Slavic Union ultranationalist movement, Datsik was arrested on September 21 when he emerged at an immigration office in Oslo seeking asylum.

In 2007, Datsik was arrested after a series of robberies in mobile phone stores in St.Petersburg. Psychiatric examinations concluded, though, that he was mentally ill, and he was exempted from being held responsible for criminal charges.

He was then locked in a high security psychiatric clinic, from where he fled in September 2010.

Drivers in Leicester facing delays with planned protests by EDL and opponents (UK)

Drivers have been warned to expect delays on Saturday because of road closures linked to planned protests by the English Defence League (EDL) and its opponents.

A large swathe of Leicester city centre will be closed to traffic between 9am and 6pm.

Bus services have also been changed to accommodate the protests, expected to centre on Humberstone Gate East.

The EDL and its opponents, chiefly Leicester Unite Against Fascism, have agreed to stage their protests between Charles Street and the inner ring road.

Organisers say several thousand protesters will converge on the city.

Buses which normally stop in Humberstone Gate East will drop-off and collect elsewhere, although the number of services will not be affected.

All parking, taxi ranks and disabled parking bays in Belgrave Gate and Abbey Street will be suspended and allocated to buses.

The city council's head of traffic management, Andy Thomas, said: "These changes are necessary to secure and maintain public order and safety on Saturday.

"They have been prepared in partnership with police.

"We have provided temporary taxi ranks and disabled parking bays as near to the city centre as we can.
"For bus passengers, we are simply advising people to make a note of which stop they arrive at, and return to it when they want to leave the city centre."

The closed or bus-only roads are contained within an area bordered by Belgrave Gate, the inner ring road, Granby Street and Gallowtree Gate.

Temporary taxi ranks are being set up in King Street, with additional disabled parking in Peacock Lane and King Street.

Ady Culpin, of First buses, said: "We will operate a normal Saturday service but not from the stops we normally would.

"There will be disruption and we will have inspectors in the streets to direct customers to the services they want."

The city council is organising free sporting and cultural events at leisure and youth centres, adventure playgrounds and colleges, to prevent young people being drawn into potential disturbances linked to the protests.

A number of businesses, chiefly in Humberstone Gate East, but also in other parts of the city, have said they will close for the day.

A telephone helpline for traffic and travel questions will be open between 8am and 8pm on Saturday on 0116 252 7000.

Details of road closures, temporary bus stops and activities for families are available on the council website.

 This is Leicester

N.Zealand embarrassed over TV host's race remarks: PM

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key on Friday said the entire nation had been embarrassed by a television anchor whose "racist" remarks provoked a furious official protest from India.

"What might have been something that was aimed at poorly-designed humour has ended up embarrassing New Zealand and for that I'm quite regretful," Key told reporters.

The presenter, Paul Henry, mocked the name of Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and added "it's so appropriate because she's Indian", prompting an official complaint from India over the "racist" and "unacceptable" comments.

Key ruled out making a personal apology, saying Wellington's envoy in New Delhi had already condemned the remarks on his behalf after being summoned to a meeting Thursday with India's External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna.

"The reason I won't is because in a sense that's already happened, it doesn't matter if the words don't come out of my mouth," he said.

In his apology, New Zealand High Commissioner Rupert Holborow said Henry's comments were "culturally insensitive, inappropriate and vulgar" and did not represent the view of the New Zealand government or its people.

New Zealand's Foreign Minister Murray McCully also sought to defuse India's anger, describing Henry's remarks "gratuitous and insulting" but admitting he was powerless to act against the presenter.

He said Henry's remarks on a live breakfast show last Friday were a regrettable abuse of freedom of speech.
While the presenter made the remarks on state-owned television station TVNZ, McCully said he wanted to make it clear to India that under New Zealand law the broadcaster operated independently of government.
McCully said he would contact the Indian government to assure it "the comments were the actions of one person, made in a country in which freedom of speech is an important foundation principle".

"Any action against Mr. Henry is entirely a matter for the company, or for the Broadcasting Standards Authority," he added.

Opposition leader Phil Goff said Key's response to the issue had been weak, arguing the prime minister should have immediately called Indian officials to apologise.

"The prime minister had the opportunity to be strong and unequivocal on something that surely he believes is wrong and offensive and he could kill the issue. He should have done it," Goff told Radio NZ.

He said the row threatened to hurt New Zealand's relationship with New Delhi in the same way that Australia's ties with the country were strained last year after a series of assaults on Indian students in Melbourne and Sydney.

Henry's remarks about Dikshit initially passed largely unnoticed until TVNZ included the footage in its website's highlights section. Since then, it has been viewed more than 300,000 times on youtube.com.
Henry is already serving a two-week suspension over comments on Monday questioning whether Governor General Anand Satyanand, who was born in Auckland to Indo-Fijian parents, was a proper New Zealander.
The controversial host made an on-air apology shortly before his suspension was announced but invited further controversy by referring to himself as "half-gyppo" (gypsy).

The owner of one of New Zealand's largest supermarket chains, Progressive Enterprises, said Henry's offensive behaviour could affect its advertising on TVNZ, warning it would be monitoring closely when the host resumes broadcasting on October 18.

The New Zealand Commonwealth Games team's chef de mission, Dave Currie, said Henry's remarks were extraordinarily disappointing and an unwelcome distraction for the country's athletes as they tried to concentrate on competing in the Delhi Games.

Google Hosted News

Russia's 2018 World Cup bid team deny that racism is a big issue

Russia's 2018 World Cup bid have denied that problems with racism in domestic football could derail their campaign, and rejected suggestions that they have been behind a dirty-tricks campaign against England.

A racist banner displayed by Lokomotiv Moscow fans following the sale of Peter Odemwinge to West Bromwich Albion focused attention on the attitude of supporters, but bid chief Alexei Sorokin, attending the Leaders in Football conference in London, said there was no truth in suggestions that the problem is endemic.

"Racism and its manifestations is a universal problem for the football world, no matter where you are. We can't take one minor outbreak here and there and blow a tendency out of it. There is a very strong voice in Russia that condemns racism and sanctions against it," Sorokin said.

Sorokin also rejected suggestions that the Russian bid was behind recent allegations about David Beckham's private life, and the sting that saw former FA chairman Lord Triesman resign having made unsubstantiated allegations that the Spanish and Russians had colluded to bribe referees at the World Cup.

"We usually don't comment on rumours and the things you just mentioned. The only thing I can say is that we have been observing the rules very strictly.

We haven't given Fifa any hard time with stupid complaints or fake scandals and we intend to do so until the end of the race.

"We have been focused on the benefits of our bid and will be for the next two months. I honestly do not think it has any ramification on Russia whatsoever.

"The ideas that are floating around are ludicrous. We are just sad for our English fellow competitors that it happened to them this way. I honestly do not think that is going to be a factor for the progress of their bid."
Sorokin declined to discuss whether a Russian World Cup would produce a profit for Fifa. England have promised a £161m profit, but Russia is understood to have forecast a loss in their bid book. Sorokin said that the figures, required for the bid book, had not been finalised.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has accepted an invitation from Prime Minister David Cameron to meet him in Downing Street next week to discuss the 2018 bid.


Bolivian newspapers protest against planned racism law

Several major newspapers in Bolivia have made a joint protest against a proposed anti-racism law which they say threatens press freedom. 

Their front pages were blank but for the slogan: "There is no democracy without freedom of expression."

The law would give the government the power to shut down media outlets it finds guilty of racism.

President Evo Morales says it will help reverse centuries of discrimination against Bolivia's indigenous majority.

The papers are not opposed to the racism law in its entirety.

But they say articles which let the government punish journalists and fine or shut media that publish what it considers to be "racist and discriminatory ideas" could be misused to stifle political criticism.

Among the papers involved in the protest are El Deber of Santa Cruz, La Prensa of La Paz, and Los Tiempos of Cochabamba.

No pretext 
Mr Morales, Bolivia's first indigenous president, has rejected the concerns, saying he is determined to approve the law without modifications.

He said freedom of expression was protected, but could be used as a pretext for racism.

"The time has come to eliminate the practice of racism in Bolivia because it is the most undemocratic practice in the world as it does not respect equality between citizens," he said.

The anti-racism law is supported by organizations representing Bolivia's indigenous communities, which have suffered severe discrimination dating back to the Spanish colonial era.

The legislation is being considered by Bolivia's senate, where Mr Morales's supporters have a majority.

BBC News